About this Show

The Dylan Ratigan Show

News/Business. The day's most important issues and breaking news stories. New.

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Port 50001

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
mp2

PIXEL WIDTH
720

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

America 10, Boehner 8, Carfax 5, John Boehner 5, Jonathan 4, China 4, Dylan 3, United States 3, Italy 3, Washington 3, Unitedhealthcare 2, David Goodfriend 2, Coburn 2, Purina 2, Obama 2, Harry Reid 2, Cnbc 2, George Bush 2, Sandy 2, Massachusetts 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  MSNBC    The Dylan Ratigan Show    News/Business. The day's most important  
   issues and breaking news stories. New.  

    July 27, 2011
    1:00 - 2:00pm PDT  

1:00pm
add up. unlike sports and finance, in politics you get to make up your own numbers. politics apparently is taking advantage of that fact. good afternoon, my name is dylan ratigan. t-minus six days' financing is ready ily the congressional budt office says both harry reid and mr. boehner plans to come up short is an understatement. the number are -- it's hard for me to sit here in a legitimate suit and news programs, to try to talk about it, because it's so ridiculous. the cbo score shows that the cuts congress promise do not exist. reid's plan is half a trillion off, whatever that means, boehner's plan, $350 billion short, working its way to half a trillion, does any of it matter
1:01pm
when there's not enough support to get either bill through, and when you consider the fact that the whole thing is a made-up political event, basically preventing usç from the real conversation about job creation and structure in the banks and tax code that could create prosperity, we are left with little more than pro wrestling, which actually rates well, it actually doesn't just get us anywhere. nbc's luke russert starts us off with the latest. >> reporter: around around around they go, where it stops, nobody knows, you're alluding to the fuzzy math. let's start off with the harry reid plan the cbo scored it as 2.2 trillion. they're still going to present that plan, not so much on the other side, the republican plan by john boehner promised over 1.2 trillion in cuts. that number was scored by the cbo at $850 billion, about $350
1:02pm
billion short. that caused john boehner last night to pull the bill from the house floor. they are rewriting it as we speak. it will be on the floor tomorrow. the real question is, can john boehner get 217 votes for the new bill that's going to come about? they've been whipping it hard, a team effort. he and top depend i eric cantor, kitchen mccarthy, they're still not there jet as we speak. if they don't get too 217 and pass something out of the house with solely republican finger pripts, john boehner has lost all leverage with negotiations, and would effectively have to work out some compromise with them. the idea now is this will pass through the house on thursday, it will go to the senate, it most likely will not pass there, because reid says he's going to blockade it. there would be some sort of amendment attached this weekend, ultimately that will be the final bill that alleviates the united states from this debt
1:03pm
crisis and does not allowç us but still a long way to go. this is the most amazing -- it's full of high drama, tons of nuance, you don't know what's going to happen next, and quite frankly nobody in this building knows what will happen next. the uncertainty is now reflected in the markets. lowest in history against the swiss franc, the dow has dropping, so a lot of consternation. >> the bond market is entirely intact, there's no evidence of default, and the financing is completely and totally available. i expect if you called a bond desk, he would arrange financing licky split, which makes this whole thing rather absurd. a default you would think we actually couldn't arrange the financing, but maybe i come from
1:04pm
a strange planet. luke, a pleasure. more on the numbers game in a few, but first i have to bring in javier bacera. basically if i units what you're trying to do, go back to the beginning, strip the budget deba debate, and then turn your attention to a budget debate. is that correct? >> if we could go back to where we've always been, where george bush expected republicans to be, and that is give us a chance to debate deficits and budgets together and not tied into this whole discussion of paying our bills. if we do that, we can move forward and look at the job deficits. >> brilliantly executed strategy on the part of certain political factions, whether it's the republican party or parts of the republican party. you have to admire the political leverage that they have applied by manipulating this debt ceiling debate, at the same time
1:05pm
it's like admire a courageous leader who wants to lead everybody off a cl[ff to shoot themselves. now they have essentially gotten what they kept saying they wanted, which was only cuts to very important programs. unfortunately from my perspective, it looks like the president is willing to go there, simply to avoid having the country thrown into chaos, but even then the republicans didn't seem to understand how to claim that victory. today the republicans can't get republican votes for a republican bill in the house of representatives, so john boehner takes to live tv after president obama and says we've got a plan, it's a two-step plan, we're going to put it on the floor, he decides to not put it on the floor, because when we went back to talk to the republican colleague, he said we don't like it. >> it strikes me as incompetent, confide candidly, when you look at the willingness to renew the bush tax cuts last winter
1:06pm
without making contingent at the time the raising of the debt ceiling, knowing full well renewing the bush tax cuts was going to lead to this. you put yourself in a situation as a community leading the democratic party, where you are now totally hostage to your opponent's agenda. >> dylan, some of us as democrats did not vote for that december deal because of what you just said, but at the same time recognize that once again, the president was put in this hostage situation where americans, working americans and more importantly working americans who lost their jocks were looking at no type of support to help them find their jobs or get benefits. so he did what i goss he thought he needed to do, and that was move us forward, but you're exactly right. we find ourselves in this position where republicans have got accustomed to playing with the toys and don't want to share. they still don't realize they have a victory and now are holding mortgages, retirement accounts, the value of the dollar up in the air, because
1:07pm
they want their way or it'sç t high way for everyone else. >> good news is the bond market is still over. after the politics are over, i can assure you money is available. >> the bond markets still believe they will solve this, and i think it's because they see that some people are still staying at the. but republicans have to figure out failure is not a good option i want and it figures with the central fwank printing money no matter what, it doesn't matter. >> the reality is we're the largest and most dynamic economy in the world. the they learn that -- which by the way, would restore our revenues. we're at the lowest rate of revenue production for the nation in the last 60 years so the result is these massive deficits. when you don't have americans working, they can't pay taxes. if they can't pay taxes, they need public services. the best thing we can do is get to focusing on job creation.
1:08pm
>> i can't not agree with you more. i look forward to that debate, congressman. thanks for the time. megapanel here in new york. msnbc contributors emerson lloyd weber, jonathan cape heart, and rupert cox, a pleasure to see the three of you. mr. cox, financial markets showing some squirrelyness, on the currency side you're seeing a bit of activity. at the same time there is not much of a we need a market smackdown. it will galvanize considerable all of a sudden -- you know, i don't want you to get hedge fund managers. they're going to çsay, my god,y pension is now worth 10% less than the day before. whether you liked t.a.r.p. or not. it was that first round through
1:09pm
the smackdown for two days, i think the dow fell like -- just an absolute -- >> bloodbath, but the problem is i don't know if we're going to have that kind of moment. i also believe that what we will have is a downgrade, but no one can kind of like get their hands on it. >> and even if you're downgraded, it doesn't matter. japan was downgraded, but it doesn't affect their interest rates. >> well, 95% of their bonds are bought by japanese individuals. we don't have quite that luxury, but a downgrade is one of these things with basic li you get once, you keep going, it's rare you go back up. no one knows what's going to happen. when t.a.r.p. went down, people were shocked about the drop, and
1:10pm
experts, people who are supposed to know they see things and know what's going to happen, they don't know what's going to happen if the united states defaults. they don't know what's going to happen in the united states is downgraded. i think that's what's most dangerous here. sill wish people would take that more seriously. >> i've just come back from europe, there's a disparages disbelief. last thursday there was a big meeting about the euro zone crisis. whatever you think of the plan they come up, however, they all came together, came up with a plafç to avert crisis. looking at washington's politicians and thinking, hey, hang on a minute, they're as -- >> didn't you run a bureau -- >> i was in italy last week in fact. the analogy is apt. the difference is the market
1:11pm
shook italy two weeks ago into doing something. they pass add 40 billion euro austerity plan, because the market freaked out. >> and in england as well. we held that deficit reduction, because we were worried about the market. here? >> i want to go back to jonathan's point, and this is -- i think people are trying to understand the implications. because america is the reserve currency of the world, because all the oil, the commodities, everything that exists, that china sells to brazil, that saudi arabia sells to europe is priced in u.s. dollars. it is incredibly unclear to what the implication of not paying it, because it is the only currency. beyond that, you have this multitrillion backstop in place that is the central bank, which is effectively saying even if it appears america is going to default, the natural correctionive mechanism that got italy in line, which was to jack interest rates and the italian
1:12pm
bond market and everybody gets freaked out and then they have a meeting is gone, it's literally as if the mechanism that should be enforcing what we're talking about has been put on morphine, because the actual market, which is the bond market should be leans against this -- >> but where else do you put your money? >> i know. i get it. >> so ironically everybody is coming here at the same time when everybody isç looking -- m picture a phone call between the finance minister in china, the head of the euro zone and in saudi arabia, saying how soon can we get a basket bypass currency done, because i don't want to watch in nonsense in america again? >> this is why what's happening is so dangerous. we are between two horrible positions, default and downgrade. speaker boehner and the -- >> but we aren't, really. that's what we've been printed with, but it's made up.
1:13pm
>> that's the political question, that's true. >> but we don't need to be there. >> we've chosen ton chosen to be here. >> only in america has the luxury to create a crisis like this. >> whose fault is it? >> i believe it is the collective fault of every person in this country. i believe -- i believe that america right now quite honestly has the government it has chosen. >> it's the government -- >> it reflects who we are as a people. we are an acrimonious, dualistic group of people who are dao this sort of fighting, and how we function with the cable and the market, and the reality is the government reflects the worst of all thoughts characteristics, so you're saying what's wrong? there you go. the panel stays. coming up later, a break from all of this madness to retreat to a man cave, and there is a tupperware party for guys, and
1:14pm
no, there are not -- it's not that kind of a cave. but first mitt romney all smiles as he throws daggers at the president for his handling of the economy. but the other question, is does this governor or any republican candidate have the chops to actually do anything better? plus nine months of fighting and they can't get the plath right. is congress smarter than a fiftç grader? as we head to brick, something to highlight the ridiculousness of it all. ♪ and we live ♪ spending lots of money while sipping kristal ♪ ♪ i'm in kwan at a timive easing ♪ [ groans ] [ marge ] psst.
1:15pm
constipated? phillips' caplets use magnesium, an ingredient that works more naturally with your colon than stimulant laxatives, for effective relief of constipation without cramps. thanks. good morning, students. today we're gonna continue... right? get out. i know! who knew? i mean. exactly! really. that's what i mean. [ mom ] what? shut the front door. right? seriously. who knew? hello sir. bingo! mahjong! for realz. woop-woop! franklin delano! [ male announcer ] hey, there's oreo creme under that fudge! oreo fudge cremes. indescribably good.
1:16pm
it's like hardwiring the market right into my desktop. launch my watchlist -- a popping stock catches my eye. pull up the price chart. see what the analysts say. as i jump back, cnbc confirms what i thought. pull the trigger -- done. i can even do most of this on my smartphone. really, it's incredible. like nothing i've ever experienced. unleash your investing and trade free for 60 days with e-trade.
1:17pm
1:18pm
>> i am not smarter than a fifth grader. humiliating consequences. that woman, however, not trying to solve our massive debt or again an economy in general. . the spending cuts meanwhile, congress is promising are in fact so far from reality it's laughable. i'm talking about hundreds of billions in lies, in both the plans. imojen and jonathan. at cnbc when you do financial television, you can argue all
1:19pm
day about why something has happened, whether it will continue to happen, whether you are right or i am right, but i can't say google stock was up and why was it up and you can't say actually google stock was down. i can't go to sports and say why did the red sox win? you can say it's because of the pitching, and no it was because of the fielding, and you say no, it's because so-and-so had an error, but i can't say, no, the red sox didn't lose last night. the political universe is the place where there are actually no facts. to me that was brought home in complete bald glory when the cbo scored both the democratic plan and the republican plan this morning. at what point does some intelligent politician, because they do exist bakley do an end-around on this entire theater and walk away from both these parties and walk in with what is clearly a wide-open marketplace for a real
1:20pm
conversation. when does somebody do something to try to take advantage of the stupidity. politically there's got to be an opportunity at some point. >> people have tried in times when itç wasn't this dire and have failed. you know, the way it's stacked up, the republican parties and democratic party have -- in order to one you have to be in one of toss parties. >> but inside the party you might thing -- >> at least i saw time coburn say there's another way to be a conservative. i don't know how successful he has been. >> and senator coburn is a very smart man, but he's one person, and one person, and 535. at we've seen speaker boehner, personally i think he's tried to do the right thing. look at what's happening to him now. he puts out a plan his own conference won't come near. >> but there is a credibility issue. if your numbers are wrong -- these guys sort of make mortgage
1:21pm
bankers circumstana 2008 look l [ laughter ] >> boehner was off 30%, to put it in the parlance of wall street. i think reid was off, what, 18%. >> half a billion. >> so 18%. i mean, there are degrees, we can look at it that way, who is righter or wronger? >> so how do you interpret that? the simple math says that boehner a wronger than reid. >> yes, boehner was wronger than reid by almost a double, but of course the dimensions are different. but boehner is dealing with something quite difficult. i don't think no a moment that he thought those numbers would go through. inch theç ineptitude is quite
1:22pm
sad. next year it will be the politician and the party that's irritated the american public the least that will win. head obama and hillary clinton going at it in the frimaries. there was a wonderful conversation. the rest of the world was thinks, great, this is america leading the way, now 2012, it's just a disgrace. i feel so sorry for america. >> it's time for brazil to step up and lead the world unless it's china, i guess. maybe the antidote is this man. >> if i were president, i would get them in the right direction by having taxes that are competitive, regulations that's streamlined and trade policy that is work for us, and energy policies that get us energy secure and the rule of law being protected. >> again that rhetoric sounds great. i strongly believe we need reform. i strongly believe we need
1:23pm
reform in the trade policy. obviously we need energy. what makes me nervous, jonathan, is nearly every president since nixon said he would give us energy -- the talking points, i heard from george bush, bill clinton. they know what to say to get ele elected, but the reason people feel so upset is they feel like everybody knows what to say to get elected, but no one hases in obligation to do it. >> everyone says what they need to say and want to say to get elected. once you run up against governing, governing is the problem. >> what is it that turns that cotton candy all nice and soft into that rock-hard nastyness that is to govern. >> when you say that i say the guy got elected and realized the entire congress was bought by six major industries setç in place to prevent reform on banking energy, taxes trade, all those major indices.
1:24pm
is that what governing means is the president can't actually do everything, because the congress is bought by special interests? >> and also because the information that the candidate has on the campaign trail, suddenly he finds out wow, all the stuff i thought was true is not true. >> governing is a good point. look at romney. he ran the state of massachusetts. he's a republican who ran massachusetts. his crowning moment was corralling all of the -- the legislature, teddy kennedy, the federal government, to basically strike a deal on -- well, dare we say it, health care. that is how you govern, that's how you pull people together, fight entrenched interests, and he doesn't want to talk about it, and it's a shame. >> wo doesn't? >> romney. >> you're saying his signature achievement as a governor, which was his job, he didn't want to
1:25pm
talk about. >> that's right. and why? because it's about health care, and he's disavowed it. that's a shame, actually. that's what we need is leadership. >> that's what's going on with the gop at the moment. they need reasonable govern yams to happen in 2016, which is why you're seeing the best candidates stepping back this time around and they will come forward in 2016. >> great news for the politicians, bad news for a unemployed americans and all the rest of it. anyway, the panel stays. next, the answer to our debt and sky-high gas prices. why would we do that? we'll talk about it after this. oh, we call it the bundler. let's say you need home and auto insurance. you give us your information once, online... [ whirring and beeping ]
1:26pm
[ ding! ] and we give you a discount on both. sort of like two in one. how did you guys think of that? it just came to us. what? bundling and saving made easy. now, that's progressive. call or click today. morning starts with arthritis pain... that's two pills before the first bell. [ bell rings ] it's time for recess... and more pills. afternoon art starts and so does her knee pain, that's two more pills. almost done, but hang on... her doctor recommended aleve because it can relieve pain all day with just two pills. this is lisa... who switched to aleve and fewer pills for a day free of pain. and get the all day pain relief of aleve in liquid gels. >> ( rooster crows ) >> by 2020, 50 billion network devices will roam the earth. that's seven devices per person. this will change how we work
1:27pm
in ways we've never before imagined. what do you need to secure your people, their devices, and your business? a network that can evolve and grow to protect your human network. [ male announcer ] millions of men 45 and older just don't feel like they used to. are you one of them? remember when you had more energy for 18 holes with your buddies. more passion for the one ya love. more fun with your family and friends. it could be a treatable condition called low testosterone or low t. come on, stop living in the shadows. you've got a life to live. [ male announcer ] so don't blame it on aging. talk to your doctor and go to isitlowt.com to find out more.
1:28pm
all right. well, we spoil yesterday with
1:29pm
former white house economic divorce darren bernstein, one of which would be tackling the trade deficits. half of our deficit is from buying foreign oil. 50% of our trade deficit, from oil. the other half? based on our rigged trade relationship with china. our specialist is sandy franks, with some thoughts on how not only we free ourselves from our dependence on foreign oil, but in the process reduce, and cede some 10, 20, 30, 40 million jobs over time dealing with energy.ç just how consequential do you see this assetening conversation, sandy? >> well, we spend about $700 billion in oil. in the month of may, $41 million. in march, $39 million. just to show you how much that's
1:30pm
gone up. in march 17, almost 18 billion on oil, so the amount of money is continually growing. what i would prefer is we take a more balanced approach. i don't think we can continue as a nation just to have a huge depend as soon as on foreign oil. it's a crazy spending too much money on it. for every $10 increase, it translates to about 25% at the pump for the consumer. we have a huge problems with a lot of americans laid off, this debt problem we've been talking about, we can't afford to continue to have americans pay these kinds of prices. >> what do we do about it? >> i think what we need to do i think right now we're stuck in this horrible annoying and frustrating debate that neither side of congress can get their stuff together to be able to figure out what they're going to do about the budget problem.
1:31pm
i think what they need to do is take serious looks at dismiss oil tax incentives and breaks for particularly the top five oil companies. which congress talks about raising prices, what that basically means is it will fall back on the american consumer. we aren't getting special tax breaks like big oil is getting. if they're going to talk about raisingç taxes, they need to lk at the whole gap bit, especially the special incentives and tax breaks that oil companies do to help bring down the problem we're facing right now. >> do you think, those, that though tax breaks or subsidies should instead go to investment in green energy? or is all the talk that president obama has made about green centering, is that not even the solution?
1:32pm
>> it's part of the solution of. only 50 billion was allocated toward alternative central sources. we need more than that to get ourself off foreign oil. i realize we can't eliminate it completely. we do need oil in this country. in fact most of what we -- but we do need to take much more serious approach to alternative energies. for example, the last time we have an oil embargo back in the '70s, we started building some experimental plants, the government did, and windmill manufacturers they started playing around, finding out that some of these things could work, but of course when the embargo stopped -- >> sandy, it's rob cox. the basic issue is one of the economics, isn't it? we have not enough supplies, we
1:33pm
have to get it elsewhere and way too much demand, so the way to ultimately is get pour supply, and you know there's lots of plans to, i don't know, put it in dylan's backyard and my backyard. >> geothermal, whatever it is. then the others, of course, is to curb consumption and be more efficient. >> absolutely, i agree. >> don't you have to have -- i mean, ultimately don't you have to have a big tax on consumption of oil and hydrocarbons? simplgts that's a market absolute, and we're not even paying the real price. the cost is -- by virtue of our tax bill relative to environmental cleanup, so it's not as if -- we already are
1:34pm
getting -- i'm curious how many the subsidization really prevents us from done anything else. i think if we spread it out, it would be aful better approach. we can't continually provide oil companies with tremendous amounts, we're talking billions. for example, oil companies going to take deduction 199, which was meant for manufacturing companies. oil companies can write off the manufacturing of their oil production. some people are saying that's about $14 billion a year. some people have set over five years. so if we have -- if we're talking about trying to get our debt in order, and we -- look if this quinn was run like a business and you're suffering from low revenues, then you cut
1:35pm
your expenses, figure out how to get your revenues up. >> i would argument you're focusing on the wrong thing, because when you're out about 5 to 10 to 15 trillion, it's not going to help you. that's why i'm with rob on the tax. go ahead, imogen. >> what alternative energy do you rate most?ç >> i think it has to be natural gas, wind, solar. these are promising thing. i tell my story about only island off the coast the denmark. in ten years, they wanted them to make all their center sources 100% renewable. they did it. i know we aren't as small as that island, but it shows you what is possible. they took, for example, diesel truck, farm equipments, they
1:36pm
just started converting rapeseed oil, so they could wean themselves off oil. so it demonstrates it's possible if the effort is put forth. we don't actually do anything to change this terrible addition wrestle to foreignoid. as long as we have this unholy alliacy -- >> absolutely. sandy, congratulations on the book. thank you for our time. thanks for the panel as well. a delight to see the three of you. we shall see what happens. none of us know what will help. people love when you don't know what's going to happen. it's good for tv. so the stick around. coming up, meet the michael scott of the muslim world.
1:37pm
somewhere in america, a city comes to life. it moves effortlessly, breathes easily. it flows with clean water. it makes its skyline greener and its population healthier. all to become the kind of city people want to live and work in. somewhere in america, we've already answered some of the nation's toughest questions. and the over sixty thousand people of siemens are ready to do it again. siemens. answers.
1:38pm
but when she got asthma, all i could do was worry ! specialists, lots of doctors, lots of advice... and my hands were full. i couldn't sort through it all. with unitedhealthcare, it's different. we have access to great specialists, and our pediatrician gets all the information. everyone works as a team. and i only need to talk to one person about her care. we're more than 78,000 people looking out for 70 million americans. that's health in numbers. unitedhealthcare.
1:39pm
that's how it is with alzheimer's disease. she needs help from me. and her medication. the exelon patch -- it releases medication continuously for twenty-four hours. she uses one exelon patch daily for the treatment of mild to moderate alzheimer's symptoms. [ female announcer ] it cannot change the course of the disease. hospitalization and rarely death have been reported in patients who wore more than one patch at a time. the most common side effects of exelon patch are nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. the likelihood and severity of these side effects may increase as the dose increases. patients may experience loss of appetite or weight. patients who weigh less than 110 pounds may experience more side effects. people at risk for stomach ulcers who take certain other medicines should talk to their doctor because serious stomach problems such as bleeding may worsen. people with certain heart conditions may experience slow heart rate. [ woman ] whenever i needed her, she was there for me. now i'm here for her. [ female announcer ] ask the doctor about your loved one trying the exelon patch. visit exelonpatch.com to learn more.
1:40pm
have you ever wondered what "the office" would be like if mifflin would be outsourced? just say kabul. i give you "the ministry" a mock-umentary show, and follows a form lat to the nbc hit. [ speaking foreign language ]
1:41pm
so maybe we won't have the snappy dialogue we're used to here in the states, but it is expected to premiere in afghanistan's largest television network, so there is that. while i'm not totally convinced that they'll be able to care the michael scold torch, i do have a bigger concern. who will play dwight? next, beer brats and business advice. we'll take you into the man cave. ♪ born to be wild uh-huh. jeff! honey, i can't walk any faster. [ female announcer ] oscar mayer deli fresh turkey comes in a clear pack... [ cellphone beeps ] [ jeff ] ooh. thanks hun! [ female announcer ] ...so the freshness you see is what you taste. ♪ it doesn't get better than this ♪
1:42pm
[ female announcer ] ...so the freshness you see is what you taste. purina cat chow helps you well-being. we're all striving for it. nurture it in your cat with a full family of excellent nutrition and helpful resources. purina cat chow. share a better life. at liberty mutual, we know how much you count on your car and how much the people in your life count on you.
1:43pm
that's why we offer accident forgiveness, man: good job. where your price won't increase due to your first accident. we also offer a hassle-free lifetime repair guarantee, where the repairs made on your car are guaranteed for life or they're on us. these are just two of the valuable features you can expect from liberty mutual. plus, when you insure both your home and car with us, it could save you time and money. at liberty mutual, we help you move on with your life. so get the insurance responsible drivers like you deserve. looks really good. call us at... or visit your local liberty mutual office, where an agent can help you find the policy that's right for you. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility. what's your policy?
1:44pm
you're gonna have the hottest car on the block. [ airplane engine rumbles ] show me the carfax. yeah, show me the carfax. we...we ran out. what? just show me the carfax. before you buy a used car, get a carfax vehicle history report. see accidents and service reported to carfax and a price based on the car's history. free, at thousands of reputable dealers. just say, show me the carfax. is best absorbed in small continuous amounts. only one calcium supplement does that in one daily dose.
1:45pm
new citracal slow release... continuously releases calcium plus d for the efficient absorption my body needs. citracal. we're back. breaking down one of the most creative solutions to job creation i have heard to date. i always love to feature people who are the booedstrap types, especially in the new generation, have an idea, see an idea, seize the idea, execute an idea, this one based on steaks, burgers, beer and brats. they would like to furnish a bromantic get-together with you and a bunch of dudes. they would -- they emphasize the meat in meetings, and if you host the party, they'll pay you to do it. it's a modern-day manlier
1:46pm
evolution, if you will, of the tupperware party concept, a potential way to supplement your income. at the very least, a very interesting and rapidly growing and rather successful small business in america may sown too good to be true, but the man is heist, nick bestie. i'm really into how young you are, how you came up with in idea and the fact that you guys have so much success at this point tell us what the concept was, and how you first started going about doing this. >> yeah, man cave, we're about creating an experience, a renal for guys to get together again. two years ago i was having a barbecue at my uncle's house, grilling up çburgers, smoking
1:47pm
brats, and this was one hell of a time. we are playing games, bean bags, and hammershlagen is a game where he play. and guys don't do this enough anymore. as you progress through life, you get busy with kids and a wife, all this, how can we provide this for the guys out there? that brought about man cave. >> so basically you came up with the business, you sponsor the free parties, you commission the guys, and you look to sell the products that are available. how is it going? >> it's going great. it's been two years, and we've hired, you know, over 1,300 guys to come on board and do this part time, 3, 10 hours a week, and they're making anywhere from $200 to $2,000 a month, getting together, grilling meat, drinking beer and having fun again. that's what it's all about. >> can i ask you a couple questions. as you can tell, i'm a fan, i
1:48pm
admire what you're doing, and i have a couple questions. >> yeah. let's do it. >> are there any girls at these parties? >> there can be. there can be. women are definitely allowed in the man cave. they just can't decorate the man cave. that's the only rule. so, you know, about 10% of our reps are women, actually, and they do very well. think about it, the old bartender, you know, type lady, she can sell with the best of them. those are the types of women that do well with man cave. >> basically women are welcome in the man cave, but they are not allowed to decorate the man cave. that's where the line is drawn? >> that's where it's drawn. >> that's what makes it a man cave? >> exactly. a place for men to be men. >> got it. >> whatever happened to things like going fishing?ç bowls? >> that's fine. >> playing golf? >> yeah, no. >> you speak as if we've -- as if men have lost their ability to socialize with each other and are now suddenly dependent upon
1:49pm
you and your honest ambition to serve the rest of us to see each over. >> but think about it. as you get older, you move through life, you go to the bar on a friday night, or the guys come over and you watch a football game. instead you're at your little girl's softball game playing angry birds on your cell phone -- >> what's wrong with that? >> guys still do get together -- >> let me ask you another question, so when it comes down to it, you're running a business. the marketing strategy is these parties, the marketing strategy is based on the man cave concept, but when it comes down to it, you're selling products to people for money. what is your best-selling product? >> we have 32 flavors of brats, bratwursts, and our favorite is a buffalo wing bleu cheese flavored brat. i'll send you a pack, you'll love it.
1:50pm
>> is there bleu cheese in the brat? >> oh, yeah. that's what we specialize in, the brats that have these giant chunks whatever it is you're eating, whether it's a philly cheesesteak stuffed with, or a ginness and bleu cheese favorites which has real guinness beer and bleu cheese crumbles? it's a flavor explosion in your mouth. >> so really you're a sausage salesman? >> no, i mean, that's one of our products. that's our best-selling product -- >> i'm teasing you. i'mteasing. >> how would you expand this? >> i think, going along with what you're saying, what we're excited about is expanding outside the model. beyond that, there's so many possibilities, whether it's new product expansion lance or a man-cation, maybe the guys at
1:51pm
the meeting, as we call it, say, we enjoy hanging out, let's get together again, but let's go on a fishing trip. man cave can facilitate that. that's what we're expanding, or maybe it's tailgating packages. you and 9 guys want to go to a giants game, and we have this -- that you can tailgate in. >> there's things you have to be able to do to, like changing a tire, throwing a spiral, i guess, with the football obviously, picking up laundry with your feet, any form of poker, are these things taught at the parties? >> yeah -- no, i mean, one element. meetings all have four elements, and that's meat, that's beer, and that is competition, and guys. so those are the four limits of a man cave meeting or just guys getting toes. so part of that competition is,
1:52pm
you know, maybe it's a tire-changing contest. make it's hammershlagen, a piece of wood with nails in it and whoever can nail in the wood the fastest. >> i am impressed. i hope you experience tremendous success, and i look forward to the roll-out of the woman çcav. do you think we'll see such a thing? >> i think it's possible. they need their space, too. >> that's half the people, you'll double your market right there. >> there we go. >> listen, nick, congratulations. thanks for your time this afternoon. if you're interested in learning more, check out mancave on the old internet. here on "hardball," chris one on one with white house budget director jack lew, but david goodfriend
1:53pm
asking where big business is. ♪ we're not going to take it anymore ♪ is more important than ever. at remax.com, you can find the experts you need, whether you're trying to sell of hoping to buy. nobody sells more real estate than re/max. visit remax.com today.
1:54pm
1:55pm
1:56pm
we're back, david goodfriend's got the floor. what's on your mind, the good doctor? >> unfortunately not man caves, but i am thinking a lot about the debt. here we are down to the wire, rome burns and boehner hedges his bets, but speaking of hedges and bets, a major stakeholder in this debate is conspicuously quiet. i'm talking about the organizations that stand to lose big if a debt deal isn't reached. private equity funds, investment
1:57pm
banks, commercial banks, insurance companies. you and i stand to lose plenty, including retirement and college savings if not our own jobs, but the captains of industry stand to lose a lot, too, so where are the fleets of hear jets for meetings with congress to urge an end to the bringsmanship in an -- the financial firms know how to turn on the juice when they want to. remember financial reform or the health care debate? the big boys mounted a major campaign to influence that stuff. we're talking media, grassroots, lobbyists. washington hadn't seen such a staging since general ulysses grant marched the army down pennsylvania avenue. we know that business can influence those house republicans. right now there's a spat going on between t. boone pickens and the koch brothers over natural gas subsidies, the kochs have
1:58pm
ordered abandon machine of is the bill. so where art thou now, help minks? where haas thou gone, big big? big bankses? bring back your lobbyists, your pr firms, your grassroots advocates yearning to bill more in fees. why won't the industries that stand to lose so much from house republicans intrance gens work to avoid their own losses? i think i know. nobody likes to admit a mistake. many of those organizationses helped to elect this tea party crowd. could it be they have buyer's remorse? if so, don't worry about it, guys, we forgive you. please, please by helping save your own skin and ours in the process. talk some sense into those house republicans. dylan? >> how much of the cognitive dissonance that you reference with the tea party crowd do you think is actually everywhere,
1:59pm
there are people on the democratic side that expected a tremendous amount from this president and can't reconcile the attractive nature of hi rhetoric with the incredibly offensive nature of hi policies? the tea party crowd can't reconciles that? are we at a point -- it's not just forgiving the business businesses, it's almost as if everybody has to forgive everybody and say, listen, we all expected a lot from everybody, it was all a load of crap. >> no question. >> and we now have to deal with it, so can we please. >> i'm just pointing out one phenomenon. big business knows how to make their will felt. what i'm sensing, they're almost in observer mode instead of participant mode. a lot of people called up washington and said when the president said, if you don't like what's going on, they did and it melted down the switchboard. so i'm asking, why are they n

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)